Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Wherein I Cook Dinner...And It Doesn't Come From a Box

I'm going to let you in on a little secret:

I.

Can't.

Cook.

Dinners around here usually consist of frozen pizza or something from a box.

I can bake like there's no tomorrow. But baking requires zero creativity. You pull out a recipe, measure the ingredients, mix it up as directed and bake. Easy. Cooking requires a little something more...

I like to pretend that I can cook, though. I even go so far as to make something "from scratch" (spaghetti sauce from a jar is as "from scratch" as I get) invite people over for dinner and, being good friends, they choke down what I serve them.

After Lily was born I decided that we (as a family) needed to eat healthier. My husband and I could both stand to lose a few pounds and I want to set a good example for the kids. That means home cooked dinners with as many fresh ingredients as possible.

As of right now, I don't have the budget for a chef and my husband (who is an awesome cook, by the way) doesn't get home until after 6:00 PM. If we want to eat before midnight, dinner is my responsibility.

A few weeks ago, a friend turned me on to THIS BLOG. My favorite part is that she gives you nutrition facts for all the recipes that she posts and Weight Watcher's points (which is very helpful since I'm on Weight Watcher's).

After browsing her blog I decided that I could try a few of her recipes. I started with (of course) a baked good. These Black Bean Brownies are amazing! Seriously. I know the recipe sounds weird, but try it. Worst case, you're out $3.00 for the ingredients. (Hint: Don't tell the less adventerous types what is in them until they try them.)

When that recipe was a success I decided to take the plunge and make real food.

I was absolutely terrified.

OK, maybe not terrified, but I wasn't looking forward to it.

I decided to start with Cilantro Lime Shrimp. Here's how it went down...


The ingredients.



And a recipe printout, of course.



Step One: Rinse the shrimp under cold water for 5-10 minutes to defrost (per directions on package). Leave it in the sink to drain.


Step Two: While the shrimp drains, chop up the cilantro...


...and the garlic...


...the recipe says to "crush" the garlic but, as I am not usually one to cook, I don't have a garlic press. I decided to mince it and pray that it worked. You want to make sure that you mince it so that it's fairly small, otherwise you risk getting a mouth full of garlic at the dinner table.

(Also, the recipe doesn't say this, but you need to pull the tails off of the shrimp. I gathered this from looking at the picture on the website.)


Step Three: Heat the oil in a pan and add the shrimp.

This is where I panicked a little. The recipe says "Season with salt and
 pepper". Um, can I get a measurement? A teaspoon? A tablespoon? OK, deep breaths...

I just poured some salt in my hand and sprinkled it in until it seemed like enough. Same with the pepper. That was a big step for a "non-cook" like myself.

Whew. That wasn't so bad...

Step Four: (Sorry, no picture...) Let the shrimp cook for a few minutes. Flip it and add the garlic.

This doesn't seem to be so hard, after all.


Step Five: Remove from heat. Add cilantro and lime.


Serve hot.
I served it over minute rice. The picture isn't the greatest, but I'm not a photographer, either.

Honestly, it turned out great. I was afraid there would be too much garlic, but it was perfect. Next time I may add something to spice it up a bit. My family survived, my husband actually said it was delicious. And my brother-in-law, who only eat chicken nuggets and the occasional steak, absolutely loved it. I'm calling it a success!

6 comments:

  1. See I'm the exact opposite of you. I HATE baking it's to technical.

    Love the link where you got that recipe from!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Amanda's Brother In Law: See? There's something other than chicken nuggets that is yummy! (Aunt Kelly)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That looks great!! Thank you for the link to the blog, I'm definitely going to check it out!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great, now I'm *really* hungry. :-P I cook shrimp like this (my Dad brings it fresh from the Baja) quite often. Pretty simple recipe, but a little more work when you have to shell the shrimp and remove the veins! One tip for crushing garlic: press it against the cutting board with a broad (chef) knife before mincing it. It brings out the juices and imparts more flavor into the food and less of a garlicy surprise when you bite into the garlic.

    Chicken nuggets... yuck! Good on ya for learning to cook. Happy cooking!

    ReplyDelete
  5. p.s. great photos... maybe there's a future in food photography in your future!

    ReplyDelete