Tuesday, March 23, 2010

But First, An Introduction

When the going gets tough, the tough start a blog.

That seems to be the trend these days. Not one to be left behind, I decided to jump on the bandwagon.

I tend to catch on to most online trends long after everyone else. I was in my 20s and already a mother the first time I set up a MySpace account. That lasted a few years then, feeling a little more mature one day, I closed that down and started a Facebook profile in February 2009. I think the 8 year old down the street had a Facebook profile before I did.

Blogging is no different. Everyone has a blog now. (Please reference afore mentioned 8 year old down the street.) That means it's my turn to try it out. After all, how hard could it be? (I hear seasoned bloggers chuckling at me already.)

So, here begins my attempt to squeeze one more thing into an already packed life.

I like to think that I am an integral part of my family and that, without me, all would crumble around them. In reality, that's probably not true, but it makes me feel important so I'm going to continue to pretend like it is. I am the definition of a control-freak. I have to know every detail possible about everything that affects me or my loved ones. (I scour the Internet for websites about child development, parenting techniques, illnesses . . . you name it, and I’ve Googled it.) There is not a patient bone in my body. I live life in fast-forward and I have to constantly remind myself that most of the world is living for today, not for next Tuesday.

On the other hand, my husband is probably the most patient man on the face of the earth. Job has nothing on him. I kid you not. Roy could watch moss grow without being discouraged by how long it is taking. This tends to drive me absolutely crazy. He is never in a hurry to do anything and that, as much as it frustrates me, is one of his best qualities because it carries over to his parenting. He is teaching me that kids are just kids and I can't force them to fit into the neat little compartments I have arranged for them. Through him, I'm learning to enjoy each moment as they come and to let the kids just be themselves instead of mini-adults.

And speaking of those kids, just who are they, exactly? It's hard to sum up each of them in just a paragraph, but I'll try. Hopefully, you'll get to know them better as I write more about them in the weeks and months to come.

Nathan is three years old. Roy isn't his biological father, but he's the best Daddy the kid has. He does see his father, but he doesn't have much of a relationship with him. Roy has taught him to have a love for all things Craftsman. His favorite stores are Sears, Home Depot and Lowes because "they have tools." He learned to work a screwdriver at the age of two and "helps" Roy in the garage every weekend. He could spend all morning at the library and all afternoon cuddled up on the couch having you read to him and then "reading" the books back to you. Nate also loves to sing and to dance and make his little sister smile. On the flipside, he has recently discovered the little adrenaline rush achieved by pretending that he doesn't hear Mommy and Daddy when we ask him to do (or not to do) something.

Lily was just born this past February and is only about 6 weeks old. She already has us all wrapped around her teeny little finger. She just started smiling within the last week and every day we get more and more smiles from her. Each night is an adventure, as she isn't sleeping through the night yet. She has been sleeping in a bassinet in our room since we brought her home. However, that bassinet only holds up to a 15 pound baby. Upon weighing her last week and realizing that she is almost 14 pounds I decided we better make the transition to the crib sooner, rather than later. We started putting her in her crib in her own room this week and it has been a success so far. She will still wake up every 3-4 hours to eat, but she has no problem sleeping in there alone.

Aside from my family keeping me busy, I am also a full time student. I take online courses and am working toward an Associate's Degree in Business Management. If anyone tells you that online classes are the easy way out, they obviously have never taken one. I struggle with finding a time when the house is quiet enough to get the required reading done. Usually I am interrupted every 3-5 minutes by a fussy baby or an inquisitive preschooler asking, "What are you doing?" for the tenth time. (Never mind the fact that I have not moved since he asked me the last time. He is sure that my activity is going to change without me notifying him, so he has to keep checking in.)

Since Lily was just born 6 weeks ago, I am still on maternity leave. My company gives 12 weeks paid, so I am expected back around May 3rd. I'm doing a pretty good job juggling the house work, the kids and my homework right now, but once I go back to work all bets are off. I'm a little scared, but also a little excited for the challenge.

Balancing all of these aspects of life at once is not easy and some days are a little more challenging than others. The title for this blog actually comes from these personal challenges I face. I am learning to be more patient. Patient with myself. Patient with my kids. Patient with my husband. Patient with humankind in general. After all, I have to be the kind of person I want my children to be.

Share

1 comment:

  1. hello!

    well that is a nice kind of blog hehe!! i love how you write about roy hehe!! you know is my favorite ha!well its all hehe!! bye

    ReplyDelete